Friday, January 9, 2009

Inspiration In The Oddest Of Places


I have been finding tiny moments of inspiration in the weirdest places lately. One of those moments took places a few nights ago, as I was driving out to do a pet sitting job. I was eastbound on Frowein Road, heading for my destination in East Moriches, 'Gateway to the Hamptons'. I turned the radio to 103.9 WRCN, our local rock and roll station, and what was playing was "You Got Another Thing Comin'" by Judas Priest. Now, I never professed to be much of a heavy metal fan. That's more the realm of my brother Tim, who is a brilliantly gifted and mostly self-taught bassist and guitarist. He has always been the 'metal-head' of the family. As for me, I've always been, much to the chagrin of said brother, a much more cerebral music afficianado. Back in the 80's, when Tim could be seen sporting spandex while thrashing on his ax, I was listening to the likes of David Bowie, ELO, the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and trying to learn to play the violin.
Well, there I was cranking the radio when it hit me that there IS a bit of wisdom in those seemingly silly lyrics from my teenage years:

"One life, I'm gonna live it up
I'm takin' flight I said I'll never get enough
Stand tall I'm young and kinda proud
I'm on top as long as the music's loud

If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by
You're thinkin' like a fool 'cause it's a case of do or die
Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had
You think I'll let it go, you're mad
You've got another thing comin'

That's right, here's where the talkin' ends
Well listen this night there'll be some action spent
Drive hard I'm callin' all the shots
I got an ace card comin' down on the rocks

If you think I'll sit around while you chip away my brain
Listen I ain't foolin' and you'd better think again
Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had
You think I'll let it go, you're mad
You got another thing comin'

In this world we're livin' in we have our share of sorrow
Answer now is-don't give in, aim for a new tomorrow

Oh so hot no time to take a rest yeah
Act tough ain't room for second best
Real strong got me some security
Hey I'm a big smash I'm goin' for infinity yeah

If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by
You're thinkin' like a fool cause it's a case of do or die
Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had
You think I'll let it go, you're mad
You've got another thing comin' "

As silly as it seems, it's words like these that best sum up how I am feeling about my life now. I am so incredibly driven to continue on in school and, for the first time in my life, I feel on top of the world. I am determined as never before to push and test the limits of my strength and intellect to accomplish what I never thought possible. In all areas of my life there "ain't no room for second best."
I think we all could use a hard-driving kick in the ass to shake us up enough to realize our own possibilities: "Answer now is- don't give in, aim for a new tomorrow."
Amen, Mr. Halford, amen....

No comments: