Friday, December 5, 2008

One Of My Favorite Poems


AN OLD HORSEWOMAN
Trudy Hatfield

When I am an old horsewoman, I shall wear turquoise and diamonds and a straw hat that doesn't suit me. And I shall spend my Social Security on sugar cubes and carrots, and sit in the alleyway of my barn and listen to my horses breathe.

I will sneak out in the middle of a summer night and ride the old sorrel gelding across the moonstruck meadow if my old bones will allow it.

And when people come to call, I will smile and as I walk past the garden to the barn and show - instead of flowers growing - stalls freshened with straw. I will shovel and sweat and wear hay in my hair as if it were jewels.

And I will be an embarrassment to all who will not yet have found the peace in being free to have a horse as a friend ... a friend who waits at the midnight hour with soft muzzle and a nicker and patient eyes for the kind of woman I will be when I am old!

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

This was beautiful. I hope to have horses when I am old, too.
I'd rather muck my barn then strut through a mall buying useless baubles...

~Lisa
New Mexico